Yellow Pages Group Reminds Businesses About Fraudulent Solicitation in the Context of Fraud Prevention Month
Montreal (Quebec), March 21, 2012 – In the context of Fraud Prevention Month, Yellow Pages Group (YPG) reminds businesses to beware of fraudulent directory advertising solicitations. The Company is very active in its efforts to collaborate with the appropriate authorities to help eradicate fraud in the context of false directory advertising via faxes or bogus bills. A typical example of fraudulent activity is the case of “Yellow-Page-Canada”, a company that has tried to pass itself as YPG despite the fact that it is not affiliated in any way with YPG. This company was recently condemned for violating the Competition Act and for operating a deceptive marketing scheme internationally.
The proper YPG logo features a modernized version of the iconic Walking Fingers™ within a unique pebble shape. The current logo doesn’t feature actual pages in the graphics and the original Walking Fingers™ are never used upside down. Having this information in mind will help Canadian small and medium-sized businesses in differentiating the real YPG and fraudulent solicitations.
Before buying any print, online or specialty directory advertising product, YPG encourages business to do the following:
- Beware of similar identities: if you get contacted by a company called “Yellow-Page-Canada” (or that does not explicitly state “Yellow Pages Group”), bear in mind that this is not Yellow Pages Group, the only legitimate owner of the Yellow Pages™ brand and Walking Fingers™ logo. For more information, click here.
- Remember that YPG’s sales force never conducts business by sending unsolicited faxes.
- In person, ask to see the representative’s business card and a copy of the current directory.
- On the phone, ask the promoter if he is authorized to represent Yellow Pages Group (or any other directory publisher in Canada). Don’t hesitate to ask more questions about the product, web site, company, etc.
- Verify with your previous Yellow Pages Group representative that the company or representative contacting you is legitimate.
YPG works closely with the Competition Bureau of Canada and other authorities to address the issue of fraud and deter scammers from soliciting businesses. The Company also educates on fraud prevention via direct communication to its advertisers, an FAQ section on fraud prevention directly on its 360 Solution site and social media.
If advertisers have any questions regarding the legitimacy of a document, they can consult the YPG fact sheet developed to help detect fraudulent communication, available on the Company’s Yellow Pages™ 360° Solution advertisers’ site at YellowPages.ca/360, in the Support / FAQ section. Businesses can also contact Yellow Pages Group’s Client Services at 1-877-909-YELO (9356). Moreover, YPG recommends that businesses that have been victims of fraudulent solicitation contact the Competition Bureau of Canada at 1-800-348-5358 or the Canadian Anti-Fraud Call Centre at 1-888-495-8501 for assistance.
About Yellow Pages Group
Yellow Pages Group is a leading digital company in Canada. The Company serves approximately 340,000 local businesses through its nation-wide sales force of over 1,200 media consultants. YPG also caters to the country’s largest national agencies and advertisers through Mediative, its digital advertising and marketing solutions division. YPG is held by Yellow Media Inc. (TSX: YLO) which owns and operates some of Canada’s leading properties and publications including Yellow Pages™ directories, YellowPages.ca™, Canada411.ca and RedFlagDeals.com™ The Yellow Media Inc. network of online properties reaches over 9 million unique visitors monthly.